Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Rhineland

Bud is a Sargent in Company A of the 309th Engineer Combat Battalion. During February and March of 1945, they are fighting in the Rhineland of Germany. This is a hard fought battle where Bud sees many of his comrades injured or killed. "Shorty, I'm still in Germany. We are fighting alongside the 9th army now. Don't worry sweet. I will come home to you."

As a combat engineer Bud has the job of building roads and bridges for the troops, but during this time he is blowing up more bridges than he builds. They cross a river then they blow up the bridges behind them, or they will blow up a bridge so the German's can't cross to their side. The Allies are making huge gains during this time and Bud his hopeful that he will be home soon. "I won't miss another birthday sweet. I just know I won't!"

Back on the home front Verna is dealing with her father's illness. He is in the hospital full time now battling cancer. While he is there, Verna is in charge of all the kids at home. On March 11, 1945 Verna's father looses his battle.

Bud is beside himself. "If only I was there with you, I could comfort you better. But as things are the best I can do is write you more letters. I know how hard this is for you but he is better now. He isn't suffering anymore. I just wish I was there. "

Bud and Verna are still relying on each others letters to get them through. "I don't know what I would do without your letters, sweet. They remind me of what I am fighting for. I don't know how these boys with no one at home do it hon. I have a reason to fight. I am fighting for us. For our future. Without you I wouldn't have a reason."

No comments:

Post a Comment