Wednesday, December 23, 2009

New York to Europe

The summer of 43 was a good one for the love birds. They got to spend more time together than they had since they had gotten married nearly a year before. They were still separated during the week but Bud was able to stay with Verna on the weekends. They were completely happy.

The beginning of September was a sad time. Bud was finally being deployed overseas. They said their goodbyes on their anniversary September 7, 1943. Bud put Verna on a train back to Oklahoma and boarded a bus to New York.

"The trip was good. I was able to see more country than I have ever before. Maybe when I get back we can come back this way. " Bud arrived in New York on September 10, 1943. There they were able to see some of the sights before they left for Europe. "New York isn't all that great...It seems dirty to me. I climbed the 86 stories to the top of the Empire State Building, went to a Broadway show, and saw Time Square...All I could think about was missing you. It wasn't any fun at all!"

On September 12, 1943, Bud boarded the Alexandria, a war ship captured from the Germans. During this time obviously mail was scarce. Bud did not receive any letters from Verna for nearly a week. "Honey if I don't get a letter from you soon, I think I just die! The Germans and Japs won't kill me but loneliness will."

On or around September 18th Bud landed in Europe. During this time the mail was being monitored closely. Bud had to be very careful what he said. He could not tell his love anything about where he was or what he was doing so he filled his letters with questions about home and writing of his undying love.

Finally they got instructions that they could tell more and Verna discovered that Bud was very close to London. He has been trying to find some of his buddies from the training camps. He has found some but not all.

"Honey, I have been all over Great Brittan. I even got to go to Scotland for a while. It seems pretty much the same as home only you can't understand the folks here and they drive on the other side of the road. " Bud finally started receiving more letters from home. On day he got 18 letters from Verna. "I guess they all got stuck somewhere, but now they are here and I am the happiest man on Earth!"

Meanwhile back in Oklahoma, Verna is trying to decide what she will do with herself until Bud gets home. She doesn't know if she will get a job helping Bud's sister in Borger, if she will stay and help her family (her dad has been very ill), or if she will stay with Bud's family. She is still having "troubles" medically. She thinks she may be pregnant but doesn't know for sure. She is having lots of pain however and this worries Bud terribly. "Honey, Just take care of yourself until I get home. There is no way any Nazi could keep me from coming home to you. You just make sure you are there when I get back. If you need to go see a doctor, DO IT!"

No comments:

Post a Comment