Thursday, December 24, 2009

Normandy and Battle of the Bulge

Bud and his battalion have been instrumental in many of the major battles on the Eastern Flank of WWII. As combat engineers for the 84th infantry, they are the road and bridge builders for the rest of the company. Although Bud has been in many of the battles we now remember from WWII he cannot write of war things to his beloved wife. His letters stay neutral and talk only of home.

Verna who hears and reads of war news while at home is sick from worry. If she goes even one day with out a letter, she thinks the worst. She knows where Bud is but she has no idea what he is experiencing. "Honey, I'm in Germany now...I would rather cut off my left foot as to tell you I'm here for I know you worry so, but I made a promise to always tell you the truth. Please try not to worry. I will come home to you. No Nazi can keep me from my beloved. I will write when I can. I probably won't be able to write everyday but know I will write if I have any free moments. Remember I love you. Keep your chin up. Your husband, BUD."

No comments:

Post a Comment